Random Notes

Node.js Profile Processing Taking Forever

I was doing some Node.js V8 profiling work at the office near the end of the day and noticed my profile processing was taking a long time. I figured it is just processor intensive and left it running for the day while I went home. To my surprise, the next day it was still running! htop showed me it had accumulated 12 hours of CPU time and was still not finished. This led me to track down a related issue and how to fix it.

Read more…

Code::Stats Server Migration and Sticker Sales

Read more…

Filter uWSGI Logs Based on Path

I was wondering today how to filter uWSGI logs based on the request path because we had an endpoint that was filling our logs with meaningless information. At least for me this was surprisingly difficult to find. So here is an example command line option:

--log-filter '^((?!/api/foo/bar).)*$'

The log-filter flag takes in a regular expression that is used to include lines that match the filter (so it works as a whitelist). To filter lines that don’t contain something, you can use a negative lookahead.

Ultimate Hacking Keyboard Review

History (or How I Got the UHK)

So it turns out mechanical keyboards are like a drug to me. After I tried my first one at work, I had to get more. At the same time I started to pay attention to the ergonomics of my typing. I noticed that when I typed a lot, my fingers and wrists would start getting fatigued quickly. My typing style also had space for improvement, with my left hand stealing a lot of work from the right hand and my fingers hitting the wrong keys. I was a touch typist, but following my own style that was hardly optimal. All this got me looking for something different, an ergonomic keyboard.

Read more…

Converting IBM Wheelwriter to USB Keyboard

The first part of this post contains background on how I got the keyboard and how I progressed with it. If you’d like to jump straight into the conversion instructions, click here.

Quick link to GitLab repo of this project: Nicd/qmk_firmware

Obtaining the Wheelwriter

After getting my Cherry finished, my brother messaged me that his company was emptying their old office and were throwing away some sort of IBM typerwiter. He asked if I would be interested in taking it instead, to save it from going to the landfill. Of course I was, and so I was soon in possession of a working IBM Wheelwriter 6747-2. The Wheelwriter is an electric typerwiter introduced by IBM in 1984 to replace the earlier Selectric. It has a keyboard with similar construction to that of the famous IBM Model M, using the same buckling spring mechanism. The unit my brother saved for me is from 1986.

I myself had no use for a typewriter, but I was very interested in its keyboard, that seemed to be in perfect condition. All the keys responded properly, so it was just a matter of disconnecting the keyboard and converting it into USB usage. This is how my conversion story started.

Read more…

Mebe 2: Elixir Boogaloo

After quite some time in development, I’ve now deployed Mebe 2 on this site, to replace the aging Mebe codebase. The earlier blog engine was written with Phoenix, which while being a great framework, was a bit heavy handed for the engine’s minimal needs. Mebe 2 has the old engine’s Markdown parsing and DB logic, but the web side is totally rewritten. The framework I chose is Raxx, because it’s quite minimal but also mainly because I just wanted to learn it. Alternatives are good.

The new blog engine has proper Distillery releases, so keeping it running and making new fixes and features is a lot easier. It’s still in very early development, though, as it’s missing tests and proper docs et cetera, but I figured I’d start dogfooding it already, as this remake process has kept me from writing new posts. So hopefully in the near future I’ll come out with some new stuff! See you till then!

Restoring a Cherry G80-1000 Keyboard

I’ve always loved retro keyboards. Back at my previous job I used to use a Keytronic keyboard that I salvaged from the university’s trash room. I liked the 80’s/90’s beige aesthetic, the huge keys, and the sound of typing on it. But it wasn’t a mechanical keyboard, just rubber dome. Once I got to type on a mechanical keyboard, I knew I wanted one, but that meant I had to put my trusty Keytronic to the side.

So about a month ago, I was very surprised and excited when I found an old looking keyboard in the trash bin at my current employer.

Read more…

Combining Audio Tracks in a Video With Ffmpeg

I use OBS Studio to store replays of my games with my friends for later. OBS writes two audio tracks to the file, one for game audio and one for my mic. I was surprised to find that multi-track files were not properly supported by many programs like Handbrake (or YouTube for that matter), so I needed to combine the audio tracks.

Read more…

Changing User-Agent Header in an Atom Editor Plugin

When improving Code::Stats’s Atom plugin, I wanted to add the plugin version as the User-Agent header: code-stats-atom/x.y.z. I used the fetch API and set the header there but it did nothing! By googling a bit I found that User-Agent used to be a “dangerous” header that wasn’t allowed to be set in browsers. It was only recently allowed, but Chromium has not implemented support for it.

Read more…

Testing GitLab and Moving Mebe

I’ve known GitLab has existed for a long time, but haven’t really paid any attention to it before. This week I decided to take a closer look and it looks really nice. The UI is much better than the new horrid BitBucket UI at least, and it offers free private repos like BitBucket does. As a bonus, it’s mostly open source and that’s something I want to support.

So I’m moving at least all my stuff from BitBucket over, like Mebe’s repo. Not sure yet if I’ll move Code::Stats’s stuff over. GitLab’s builtin CI stuff does seem tempting though.