People commented so nicely on my first build tool FBU that I decided to push it to the Elixir package manager Hex.pm. I renamed it, though, since people pointed out that it could be used to build anything, not just the front end. So now it’s called (still unimaginatively) MBU: Mix Build Utilities.
Viewing posts with tag programming.
EDIT 2017-04-04: I have since renamed the project to MBU: Mix Build Utilities and published it on Hex.pm: hex.pm/packages/mbu. I have edited the links and code examples in this post to reflect that.
tl;dr I wrote my own build tool using Elixir’s Mix: Nicd/mbu.
What better way to spend a slow weekend than by writing another blog engine? Plenty, actually, but that’s what I did anyway. The result of this work: Mebe! This blog is now powered by a wonderful mix of Elixir and Phoenix. It has all the features that Laine had, with the addition of an actually working Disqus comment system. It’s also search engine indexable, which I thought I didn’t care about, until I didn’t have it anymore. Not that I’m aiming for tons of visitors, but writing about some tech problem I have fixed is kind of pointless if no one can find the post by googling for it.
I had some free time this weekend, so I decided to pick up on an old piece of code I wrote back when I started learning Elixir. It’s a URI parser I called Nurina (the word nurina is Finnish and means grumbling or complaining — it sounded funny and it contains the word URI). It’s not really a well put together piece of code but more of a learning excercise. I also decided to avoid using regular expressions entirely and instead used pattern matching to parse the whole URI — an additional challenge.
As my first OpenRepos release ever, Pitot is now available for download there. You can find it here.
This is just a temporary step to get the app available for people until it is accepted in Harbour, the Jolla app store.
Pitot — my SailfishOS GPS/GLONASS speedometer app — has reached a state where I’m confident to release it for others to use. You can download the RPM in the BitBucket repository.
Some screenshots showing the basic functionality below:
Some notes about the accuracy when using with the Jolla phone:
- It takes a long time to get a location when you are moving. This is due to the phone’s GPS being pretty bad. I don’t know of a way to alleviate it in the app.
- Jolla’s speed readings come rounded to around 0.25 m/s. So for example when walking, the app will report 4.5 and 5.4 km/h but nothing in between. To my knowledge this cannot be changed from the app either.
The app is feature complete and I’ll just wait until QtPositioning is allowed in Harbour to publish it.
There’s still one little problem, the font is really jagged and ugly. I tried following a Jolla
employee’s instructions in setting the text’s
Text.NativeRendering but it seems to
have no effect. I’ll take a better look at that later. (Also the logo is quite ugly, but I’m bad at
graphics, so any help on that would be much appreciated!)
If you encounter any problems, I’d appreciate bug reports or even pull requests in the BitBucket repository!
My work laptop got its first sticker today — a Code from Finland sticker. I think it’s a nice idea of marketing that we do our work in Finland, employing Finnish people and boosting the domestic economy. Kind of akin to the Key Flag Symbol for other products.
You can check koodiasuomesta.fi for more info.
Disclaimer: I work for Vincit Oy, where the idea originated. But there’s currently over 90 companies on board.
First post of undoubtedly many to come in my SailfishOS adventures. This time it’s to tell about a small app I made during the weekend.
Pitot is a simple GPS/GLONASS speedometer for Sailfish. It will display the current speed of the device in big letters on the screen. It has a few different units, including kilometers per hour, meters per second, miles per hour and even knots.
It still needs some polish and a good smart cover. Also, it can’t be released in the Jolla Harbour yet, since it uses QtPositioning to get the speed.
Having used it a couple of times, it seems that the Jolla phone’s GPS is really terrible, though, since it takes ages to get a speed reading and when you do, the readings jump up and down even though your speed is constant. It also seems the resolution of the speed readings is too bad for trying to measure walking speed – I either get 4.5 or 5.4 kph, nothing in between.
Hopefully I get enough time to finish it next weekend. Now I’ll have to be off to work!